I’ve decided to start a new series for busy mums! My favourite tried and true recipes that are quick to make with limited dishes! Between keeping the house semi sorted, remembering where my phone is, working and making sure the puppy hasn’t choked on his latest find… I have no time for recipes with millions of dishes or that take up too unchanged time!
Recipe 1: Fast one bowl chocolate slice!
This slice is fast, not messy and sooo good! It never lasts long around here! I took the inspiration for the original recipe from “The Great New Zealand Baking Book” but with some changes to sort out that sweet tooth! So without a doubt lets get into the ingredients!
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 Tbsp of cocoa
- 200 grams of melted butter or marg
- 1 tablespoon of water
- Optional: 1/4 choc chips or grated choclate
I love this recipe so much for so many different reasons! My days are flat tack usually down to the hour! Especially at the moment nearing the end of my pregnancy and working on my business. I know this recipe would be one my mum would have loved when she was running around after 3 young girls! Trying to fit in enough time to create baking in a household of multiple kids is no easy feat! So a recipe like this one with one main bowl and quick, easy and delicious!
Without too much more chit chat lets get into the steps! As a side note this recipe works great with caramel icing or adding a few drops of peppermint essence into the icing!
- Preheat the oven too 180*c fan bake! (Yes I am putting this at the top because I always forget to look ahead and do this!)
- Place all of the above ingredients into your bowl! Combine them! You should have a well stuck together mix. If you find it too powdery then another couple drops of water can be added. Make sure to mix well to have a thorough consistency.
- Press into your chosen tray with baking paper underneath!
- Cook for 15-20 minutes until the slice is cooked firm!
Icing! This recipe wouldn’t be complete without a soft sweet icing to place on top! This is the easiest icing I have made in my life, you can make it straight in the bowl that you just made your slice in too!
- 1 1/2 cups of icing sugar
- 2 Tbsp cocoa
- 2 Tbsp Melted butter/Marg
- Mix together all ingredients. Use hot water to get your icing to a sufficient consistency!
- I generally ice the slice about 15-20 minutes after it comes out of the oven and leave it to sit! You can cut it and eat it warm or wait till later!
The recipe is that EASY!
So why the new series? I HATED cooking growing up. Like I could not stand it! Cooking for me was time consuming, messy, involved lots of clean up and NEVER WENT WELL! I’ll be honest I think it never went well because I hated it so much I have no idea if I actually even bothered putting in the right amount of ingredients! But now a good 15 years later I love to cook and I love to bake but more importantly. I LOVE to make it as easy and as tidy as possible!
With my upcoming mum duties looming and every mum I already know saying say goodbye to your time! This is especially important now more than ever! I love easy, tasty meals and I intend to create a wonderful place for mums with limited hands and limited time a place to go to find DELICIOUS and EASY recipes within an area dominated by mums!